Day 12

Still experiencing rough seas with 35 mph winds and 10-12 foot swells. That is not so swell if your sea-legs are wobbly. We decided to have breakfast for the first time in the Compass Rose dining room on deck 5, figuring that would be calmer than our usual deck 10 La Verandah buffet area. There was hardly anyone there, so we had a prime spot by the window. As we ate, there were some splashes against the windows, So tried not to stare out at the water and finished eating as soon as possible.

Steve Rivellino has been speaking about Broadway and theatre legends, but today I was fascinated by his topic of the Paris Opera House and Phantom of the Opera, one of my favorites. He described how it was ordered by Napoleon III and took many years to build. Water was always a problem in the basement areas because a previously unknown tributary of the Seine kept leaking in. The finished Opera House is magnificent, as we saw in Steve’s many photos. He then gave us the history of the Phantom story, played some clips and songs, and described the new version recently released. It was a fascinating presentation.

That was followed immediately by Andrew Jampoler, presenting a story about the life of Robert Lewis Stevenson. He began writing at a very early age, much to his parents’ chagrin, since they wanted him to be an engineer and follow in the family lighthouse building business. He wrote Treasure Island, Kidnapped, Broken Arrow, and many other books and short stories, but was quite sickly. He left Scotland and travelled to Samoa, hoping to breathe better. Historians believe he had tuberculosis, and with no cure or real treatment, he passed away at the young age of 44. Samoa is one of our ports of call.

On our way out of the lounge we met Lisa and her dad, Morrey, who invited us to play a noontime game with them. With a group of 30 or so, we played 31, a card game where the object is to get a count close to or exactly 31 in the same suit. Low man loses a ticket. The one with tickets after all other players are eliminated is the winner. The four of us played at one table, and at the end, Mac ended up winning and received 2 Regent points. This was easier than trivia.

After trivia, where our team came in fourth again, we were invited to Jamie’s suite for a cocktail party. Jamie, travelling solo, had invited the table of cruisers who met that first night at the hotel. She wrote the invitations for the 17th which she later learned conflicted with a ship event. She rescheduled it for Saturday. We were in our cabin getting ready for a Prime 7 special dinner when she called our cabin asking if we were coming to her party? Mac just said “yes,” right away. We checked the written invitation in our room because we were confused, thinking it was tomorrow. When we got to her cabin, Jamie apologized for her confusion when re-writing the invitations. She used Friday’s date, the 19th, and called it Saturday. She called all the invited guests and got six of the eight. We all had a good laugh of this mishap. Jamie’s cabin, on deck 11, is larger than ours and has some room for entertaining. Gwen and Dean, and Debbie and Dave also attended. Jamie’s butler served wine, champagne and hors d’oeuvres. After a lovely social time, we all went to dinner together.

Last night’s performer was Jane Cho, from Australia, who played an electric violin and did a superb job. She played some classical numbers, followed by some Led Zeppelin and Beatles songs. It must have been difficult for her to maintain balance on a rocking stage, all the while wearing 3-inch heels. Jane will be back for another show later on.

We continue on our way to Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas. Last night we advanced our clocks by 30 minutes, (now 4 ½ hours earlier than east coast time) because the Marquesas are so isolated and in the middle of a time zone, they can probably call it any time they want. The 30 minute change is quite unusual and only happens a few places on earth.

Yours in travel,

Pat & Mac